Nobody wants to see your site down. If your site goes down because of high traffic or server load you could lose significant revenue each day. As traffic rises more and more with my site I am counting the number of days to move from a shared hosting plan to a VPS (Virtual Private Server) or a dedicated server.
People say that VPS are much cheaper than dedicated option. Nonethless, unless your site is on a very high load you don’t need to go for a dedicated plan instead you can avail a VPS host. Make sure you have a plan with atleast 256mb guaranteed RAM if you are running a dynamic sites or 128mb is sufficient if your webserver serving static webpages.
Here some of the best VPS hosts I have collected from researching on the Internet.
Rackforce – http://www.rackforce.com
VPS Link – http://www.vpslink.com (low cost)
VPS Land – http://www.vpsland.com
Tektonic – http://www.tektonic.net
Gate VPS – http://www.gate.com/vps/
VPS Byte – http://www.vpsbyte.com
Lunarpages VPS – http://www.lunarpages.com/virtual-private-server/
HostMySite – http://www.hostmysite.com/vps/
Euro VPS – http://www.eurovps.com/
LiquidWeb VPS – http://www.liquidweb.com/
slhost – http://www.slhost.com
BodHost – http://www.bodhost.com
Just buy a VPS plan, install a control panel like Webmin, DirectAdmin, CPanel or Plesk. Webmin is FREE. You can also maintain your server without a server control panel if you are experienced enough. Generally CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu are very popular linux operating systems. A very good start on installing necessary softwares for debian/ubuntu can be found at mysql-apache-php.com
- Registering DNS Nameserver with Godaddy
- Best Server Control Panels for Linux Hosting Servers
- Important TCP/UDP Port Numbers
- Colocation vs Dedicated Hosting – Whats the difference?
- Easy methods to Backup your Cpanel files
- CPU Exceeded Error on a New Host
- Magento Store Hosting—Four Checks to Hire the Best Service Provider
- Install LAMP Server for Centos/RHEL
- How to do backups with Network Attached Storage (NAS) in Linux
- Install Webmin Server Control Panel for Debian/Ubuntu