Fact: iPod touch can only connect wirelessly (using wi-fi) to broadband internet that is always ON. Since ipod touch does not have or come with any dialer it is not possible to connect to internet that requires username and password using ADSL modem. Technically this means your ipod touch can only get wifi internet access if your router/modem is already connected to internet. (for example in airports etc..)
But there is a way to do it…
Solution: You will need to configure your ADSL modem that automatically connects to internet when switched on. That is otherwise known as PPPoE mode. In this mode the router remembers username and password and automatically dials and connects to internet once switched ON. After you change this your ipod can connect to adsl modem using wi-fi, since is already connected to internet.
If you were previously connecting to internet with using a username and password then you must be using your modem in otherwise known as Bridged mode requiring username and password. You will need to change that to PPPoE mode.
Follow these steps…
Settings on Broadband Wireless Modem
Go to your modem web based interface by typing http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.168.1/ on your browser and type admin and password admin. If thats not working just look at your modem manual on how to configure your ADSL modem. You will also need admin login and default password, which will be mentioned in your modem manufacturer manual along with default IP address.
2. Enable wireless and then set new access point name in your wireless modem.
3. Secure your wireless and set password if you need it.
Settings on IPOD
You will soon see the wireless connection detection in your ipod showing the access point name. Tap it and you will be asked for username and password. By now you should have access to internet and you will see blue wifi indicator on top of ipod. Try connecting to internet and if you cant do the following settings…
1. Go to Settings > Wireless Lan > Detected Wireless name > Details (small arrow) > DHCP >
2. Fill in the Router IP (either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.168.1) depending on wireless modem. Netgear modem should have 192.168.0.1
3. Specify Google DNS servers 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 to resolve domains.
4. Once done, switch OFF the wireless, wait for few seconds then turn ON the wireless in your IPod.5. If all is well, you will the see the blue wireless icon on top of ipod screen. Just open safari to surf websites.
Note: Dont forget that you secure your wireless modem with a WEP network key.
Check out Clear Internet for a mobile wireless connection for your Ipod that’s always on
- BSNL Dataone – Automatically connect to Internet when modem switched ON
- How to configure modem/router for Airtel Broadband
- how to secure a wireless router/modem?
- iPhone vs iPod Touch – What is the difference?
- BSNL Error 691 – Access was denied because username/password was invalid on the domain
- How to find MAC address of wifi in iPad?
- APN settings for Vodafone and Airtel!
- Troubleshooting BSNL Broadband related Issues in your Telephone line
- ADSL modem shows SNR margin very low!
- Fixing connection timed out in Mac wireless connectivity