ECR/ECNR seals in Indian Passport

It is very important to understand the purpose of ECNR and often many people confuse with ECR and ECNR.

As of Oct 1, 2007 Government of India has abolished Emigration Check Required Suspension (ECRS), as a result of this The Indian Passport Office no longer stamps ECNR stamp in new passports by default if you have passed class X or income tax payee. But ECR stamp is being put in passports if applicant is not eligible for ECNR.

No emigration clearance  is required for visiting Bangladesh, Pakistan and all countries in Europe (excluding CIS states), North America, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, South Africa and Singapore.

If the passport does not have ECR stamp, the applicant is deemed to have been granted ECNR status. No ECNR stamp will be affixed on the passport.

Why do you need to remove ECR from your passport?

Passport holders with ECR stamp affixed who leave the country for employment purpose require emigration clearance from the office of Protector of Emigrants (POEs).  Otherwise, they will be stopped from travelling at the port of exit. For more information, please see this page.

How to remove ECR seal from your passport and obtain ECNR status?

The procedure is very easy and you have to apply for “Deletion of ECR” in the passport office in your city.

1. Download the FORM 2 application for Miscellaneous services. Download here

2. Mention the service requested as “Deletion of ECR status”

3. Attach copies of your class x, +2, college degree certificates as proof for education along with address proof.  You can also produce PAN card with 3 years income tax receipts (sometimes it is asked).

4. Hand over your original passport at the counter and it should take about 2-3 days to get the whole process done..


(a)  All holders of Diplomatic/official Passports.

(b)     All GAZETTED Government servants.

(c)     All Income-Tax payers (including Agricultural Income-Tax Payees) in their individual capacity. Proof of assessment of income tax and actual payment of income tax for last one year or copy of PAN card to be insisted upon, and not merely payment of advance tax. However, in most cases as an assessment order is not issued separately by the income tax department, income tax returns which are stamped by income tax authorities can be accepted.

(d)    All professional Degree holders, such as Doctors holding MBBS degree or equivalent degree in AYURVED or HOMEOPATHY, accredited Journalists, Engineers, Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Lecturers, Teachers, Scientists, Advocates, etc.

(e)     Spouses and dependent children of category of persons listed from (b) to (d).

(f)      All persons having educational qualifications of matriculation and above.

(g)      Seamen who are in possession of CDC or Sea Cadets, Deck Cadets;

(i) who have passed final examination of three years B.Sc. Nautical Sciences Courses at T.S. CHANAKYA, MUMBAI; and

(ii)  who have undergone three months Pre-Sea training at any of the Government approved Training Institutes such as T.S.CHANAKYA, T.S. REHMAN, T.S. JAWAHAR, MTI (SCI) and NIPM, CHENNAI, after production of identity cards issued by the Shipping Master, MUMBAI/KOLKATA/CHENNAI.

(h)      Persons holding Permanent Immigration Visa, such as the visas of UK, USA and Australia.

(i)      Persons possessing two years diploma from any institute recognized by the National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) or State Council of Vocational Training (SCVT) or persons holding three years’ diploma/equivalent degree from institutions like Polytechnics recognized by Central/State Governments.

(j)       Nurses possessing qualifications recognized under the Indian Nursing Council Act. 1947.

(k)     All persons above the age of 50 years.

(l)     All persons who have been staying abroad for more than three years (the period of three years could be either in one stretch or broken) and their spouses.

(m)    All children up to the age of 18 years of age. (At the time of re-issue at the age of 18  years, ECR stamping shall be done, if applicable)..

Note: The information given above is for general information only and may not be interpreted as professional advice. For specific information and procedures, please call the passport issuing office in your city directly.

You can get the phone numbers on the respective passport office websites below:


Official Website Passport Office:

Application Forms  Download:

Similar Posts:

Prabhu Balakrishnan

Mr. Balakrishnan Prabhu is an entrepreneur and world's leading expert in Global citizenship and investor programs assisting high net worth immigrant investor clients. He is also a software engineer with background in Computer science engineering. His other interests are Linux servers, Machine learning, Parallel computing, Computer vision, Wordpress, etc. He is originally born in India currently living in Budapest, Hungary.

  • mohan

    dear sir,
    i have uae visa .but my passport have ecr stamp only.i want to go urgently in to clear this qualification 10th fail. i am currently doing operation theater technician course in second year only second year exam pending. i have first year mark list everthing.pls give soulsion. relay help for me.given reply shortly.

  • http://yahoo balbeer

    good morning mr. brabhu sir

    sir im working in dubai i have alredy ECNR stamps in my passport then i renew passport this month in dubai show sir now if i go another country like Kuwait show ifi go from india show i need new ECNR stamps in my passport plz sir send me sms

  • Devang Parekh

    i have ECR passport and i want to go honkkong n dubai for tour.then i should have ECNR passport or not?

  • Jarisa

    I applied for a US- Religious worker Visa, more than 10 months over, till now US Government not able to take any action in it. My passport has ECR in it, though I am having 10th Marks card, my agent has done like this, Is it necessary for me to do ECNR to go to TEXAS. Kindly help me sir by your valuable reply.

  • abdul zahir

    Dear Respect sir,
    i am working in saudi arabia from 29 months more. first time i was working in my company later on i got transferred another company. now i am on vacation but in my passport attached visa of first company. my vacation going to finish nearest. so going time its needed emigration or not. Because i have ECR Passport.