I recently went to passport seva Kendra fixing up my appointment under normal category. I could have booked under tatkal but I heard that officials are very strict under tatkaal and over 80% of tatkal applications are denied and put in normal mode. I felt that there is no point to apply for tatkaal without getting verification certificate from police.
My case is passport reissue of my expiring passport which was expiring within a year. No change in address everything same as per old passport. I got police clearance certificate PCC six months ago and despite this I was told today post police verification would be done after granting passport. I remember last time at the local police station they took me fingerprints and other documentation. I am disappointed that I have to go through the same verification again. I thought they would issue me passport with no police verification but the passport granting officer granted me the passport subjected to post police verification.
After my experience in passport Kendra I must say that TCS guys are doing a remarkable job there and they are so friendly. The passport officers at B and C counters are bit rude I should say.
Oh! You won’t be needing a photo nowdays. You will be fingerprinted and captured photo there itself.
One of the most common questions asked about renewing passport is – will my passport number change when i reissue or renew passport? The answer is yes, you will get a new passport number. They will stamp cancelled in your old passport and return you back at the counter. If you have doubts or have any valid visas in your old passport, carry both old and new passports whenever you travel.
Police verification by the authorities have been nowdays mandatory, and nobody can escape that. Even tatkal, reissue and fresh passports, go through the same verification. You will be verified at your present address. if you are staying/working other than your permanent address, the verification will happen at both the places. Please note that the Granting Officer (GO) will take the decision whether you have to undergo verification or not.
1. Pre Police verification (first verification happens, then if clear, passport will be sent)
2. Post police verification (passport will be issued first, then verification happen)
3. No verification
When you go for passport Kendra for reissue/renew/fresh, be sure to carry as many identification documents you can in original and you will be asked for atleast 2 address proof + 1 for proof of date of birth. + one proof for ECNR + Marriage certificate for spouse name. For reissue of passport within 1 year of expiry the passportindia.gov.in says that just original passport is required but I was was asked for 2 address proofs and 1 proof for birth.
Documents for address proof
- Ration card
- Driving license
- Voter ID
- Telephone bill landline or postpaid (1 bill for last year and 1 latest bill)
- 1 year bank statement with bankers certificate photo attested by bank manager. If you are taking bank passbook issued by nationalised banks be sure to get sign and seal of bank manager in your passbook. Mere passbook printouts not accepted
- Income tax assessment order with 3 year return acknowledgment showing address and IT dept stamp.
- Marriage registration certificate
For full list of documents, please http://passportindia.gov.in
Proof for date of birth:
Just take your 10th marksheet in original or PAN card.
Caution: when I stepped in the seva Kendra I noticed a board saying this:
“Since most countries take biometric information, especially gulf countries Any suppression of information in personal particulars could lead to prosecution or problems with foreign immigration. “
So do not suppress any information such as change of name, work place, age etc. If you are working in bangalore but your permanent address is Delhi, be sure to submit all relevant information on where you have stayed for the past years. Police verification will be done in places you have stayed previously.
Passport seva complaints:
- Getting an appointment is a predicament as most of the time servers are busy or no slots available from passportindia.gov.in
- I have noticed lots of technical problems in seva Kendra such as token not working, server problems causing resorting to manual mode.
- Photos captured in seva kendras are poor in quality and not clear often. Never liked my photo in the passport.
I personally feel that our govt should set up more kendras as the number of people seeking passports skyrocketed to 200%. Not to mention people requesting additional services such as addition of spouse name, address change, minors, PCC (Police clearance certificate) has been at very high numbers.
Update: I had to be physically present to sign to receive the passport sent by speed post from the postman. It seems rules have become strict, and they give passport only to the passport holder not even to my parents.
- How to get police clearance certificate in India?
- Paypal asking for PAN card from Indians?
- Indian passports can be renewed 1yr before expiry date!
- Lost your indian passport abroad? Here is what you need to do!
- Whats special in GTA4?
- Apostille and Attestation of Documents in India
- Always carry your passport when travelling by train in Europe!
- Getting Adsense PIN by post is a nightmare!!!!
- Indians can buy citizenship in Dominica for $100,000
- ECR/ECNR seals in Indian Passport