There are several countries in the world having special provisions in citizenship laws granting citizenship based on public interest such as achievements in the field of science, sports, technology, research, energy and art/culture. The paperwork and bureaucratic procedure is quite difficult and may take many months as the decisions are made by minister.
(11(4)) Person has been resident in Austria for 6 years and acquisition of citizenship is in the interest of the country in the field of science,commerce,, the arts or sport. Austria(10(6))Person has past or future achievements that are in the special interest of Austria (constitutional provision). No residence or secure income requirement and no renunciation of previous citizenship.
(19) – Person legally resides in Belgium and has demonstrated exceptional achievements (scientific, sports,culture) that are in the special interest of the country.
(16)Person has special achievements in the social and economic sphere, in science, technology, culture or sports.
(12.1) Person is someone whose acquisition of citizenship wouldbe in the special interest of Croatia.
(CYP 111, Schedule 3 Article 2(f))- Person has performed special services to Cyprus for reasons of public interest.
(16) Person whose naturalization is of benefit to the Czech Republic in the fields of science, education, culture, sports, or if it serves to implement the international commitments of the Czech Republic, humanitarian purposes, or another state interest.
(10) Person has special merits in the area of science,culture, sports or in other areas (maximum of 10 persons per year).
(21-19(6), 21-18(2), 21-21) Person is someone with exceptional services for France or a case of special public interest, has rendered or could render importance services for France because of her/his Investment
(8) Person has been resident in Germany for 3 years and his or her acquisition of citizenship is in the special interest of the country, e.g. in the field of science, research, trade and industry, arts, culture, media, sports or public service.
(13,5(3)) Person has provided extraordinary services to Greece or his/her naturalisation would serve the country’s extraordinary interests.
(4(7) Person serves an important interest of Hungary.
(12) Person has done signal honor or rendered distinguished service to Ireland, or is the child or grandchild of such a person. Honorary citizenship bestowed on a foreigner is full legal citizenship including the right to reside and vote.
(9 (2)) Person has rendered distinguished services to Italy or the acquisition of citizenship would serve outstanding public interests.
(13) Person has rendered special meritorious service for the benefit of Latvia.
(20) Person makes a substantial contribution to strengthening Lithuanian statehood, to increasing the country’s might and to promoting its authority in the international community.
(8) Person has rendered exceptional services to Luxembourg.
(10(9)) Person has rendered exceptional services to Malta or to humanity.
(10) Person is a special case
(6(6)) Person has rendered or is called to render relevant services to Portugal or to the Portuguese community.
Provisions of Articles 2 and 18 of this Law, by an Emiri decision Qatari nationality may be granted to those who have rendered great service to the country, or who have particular skills the country need, or students who excel by showing promising scientific ability. Based on the requirements of the public interest, Qatari nationality may be granted in such cases to the persons concerned, who may also retain their original nationality
(7) Person is someone of special benefit to Slovakia in the area of economics, science, technology, culture, sport or society, or the person’s acquisition is otherwise in the interest of the country.
(13) Person is an adult whose acquisition of citizenship is beneficial for the country due to scientific, economic,cultural, national or other similar reasons.
under a provision of a 1977 law, grants citizenship under “exceptional circumstances and public interest” for persons who don’t live or plan to live in the country.
The citizenship laws in these countries DO NOT contain provisions on naturalisation on grounds of special achievements.
- United Kingdom
Honorary citizenship is a status bestowed by a country on a foreign individual whom it considers to be especially admirable or otherwise worthy of the distinction. It is extremely rare to get one in countries such as US or Canada.
By act of United States Congress and presidential assent, honorary United States citizenship has been awarded to only eight individuals.
Honorary Canadian citizenship requires the unanimous approval of Parliament.
- Malta to grant Citizenship of merit to exceptional individuals
- Austria economic citizenship program is closed
- Austria Citizenship for the Wealthy & Superrich Investors
- How to buy citizenship in another country?
- Irish Immigrant Investor scheme requires €1,000,000 investment
- The Best Golden visa programs in Europe
- Citizenship-by-investment available only in 3 countries
- 10 Countries that sell instant citizenship for cash
- Rising demand for citizenship passports and golden visas
- St Lucia citizenship reduced to $100,000 from Jan 2017